Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 14 Hansard (Thursday, 30 November 2017) . . Page.. 5582 ..
5. The tender process was delayed due to the identification of a shortfall of funds at that point in time.
Environment—green waste bin service
(Question No 826)
Ms Lawder asked the Minister for Transport and City Services, upon notice, on 1 December 2017:
(1) Given that on 17 November Tuggeranong residents who signed up for the green bin service received an update emailed titled “Green waste bins are coming to Tuggeranong” and that the email publicly listed all recipient email addresses, what will the Government do to ensure that best practices of privacy are met in the future.
(2) Is the Government planning on making a published public apology to recipients of the email notwithstanding the fact that an apology email was sent from Transport and City Services (TCCS) staff to recipients on 17 November.
(3) Did the apology email state that TCCS had self-reported the incident to the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC); if so, will the recipients of the email be notified of the outcome of the incident report; if so, how; if not, why not.
(4) How will the Government use the incident report to adopt better privacy practices.
(5) Will there be an investigation; if so, how will the recipients of the email be notified of the outcome of the investigation; if not, why not.
Ms Fitzharris: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The inadvertent breach was the result of human error.To facilitate effective governance and avoid recurrence, ACT NoWaste, the business area responsible for the delivery of the garden organic green bin service, other government initiatives and operational waste management services have implemented the following controls:
- Bulk emails to residents and or industry will be distributed via a generic email inbox
- All applicable addresses will be entered into the blind copy address bar
- Bulk emails will be edited and approved by a more senior staff member prior to release
- Include standard text in the footer of the email as outlined below:
This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If you are not the intended recipient:
- Please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately.
- You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.
(2) Given that TCCS issued a written apology immediately after the incident, a further apology is not required.