Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 10 Hansard (Thursday, 14 September 2017) . . Page.. 3792 ..
(7) Have any ex gratia payments been made subject to non-disclosure conditions.
(8) Have any ex gratia payments been made subject as part of legal settlements.
(9) Have ex gratia payments been used in the process of employment, during employment, during employment disputes or disengagement of any public servants, including teachers, nurses, police or any others.
(10) Have ex gratia payments been used as any part of the response to the loose-fill asbestos emergency since 2014 including emergency housing, rental assistance, payments for removal and including the Asbestos Response Taskforce program.
(11) Has the Government used the mechanism of ex gratia payments to facilitate payment for any other purpose.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The guidelines used to assess the merits of a request for an Act of Grace payment have been in place for many years and are communicated to those making such a request.
(2) Section 130 of the Financial Management Act 1996 permits the Treasurer to authorise an Act of Grace payment. The process is for applicants to write to the Treasurer requesting such a payment.
(3) This information is not collected in a manner that can be collated. While some requests specifically seek an Act of Grace payment and would therefore be recorded as such, others are more general in their request for assistance from the Government but are then referred into the Act of Grace context for consideration. Information on the number of Act of Grace requests received over the past five years therefore does not give an accurate picture of requests for assistance. As noted in the next two sub-sections, the number and value of approved Act of Grace payments are published in the notes to the Territory’s annual consolidated financial statements.
(4) The number of Act of Grace payments approved in each financial year are published in the notes to the Territory’s annual consolidated financial statements.
(5) The total amount of Act of Grace payments approved in each financial year are published in the notes to the Territory’s annual consolidated financial statements.
(6) See answer to (5) above. The Government does not release details of individual recipients for privacy reasons.
(7) See answer to (6) above.
(8) See answer to (6) above.
(9) See answer to (6) above.