Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 09 Hansard (Thursday, 24 August 2017) . . Page.. 3448 ..
Planning—future urban areas
(Question No 357)
Ms Le Couteur asked the Minister for Planning and Land Management, upon notice, on 9 June 2017:
(1) Further to the answer to Question on Notice Number 27 to the Standing Committee on Planning and Urban Renewal Inquiry into referred 2015-16 Annual and Financial Reports, in relation to investigations into future suburban growth options was it stated that “Six (6) localities were examined. Four of the localities were already identified in the ACT Planning Strategy 2012 as future urban areas as part of the Western Edge investigation area (Central Molonglo, Stromlo Valley, Bulgar Creek and West Murrumbidgee). Kowen and nearby areas of NSW were also considered”; if so, which page of the ACT Planning Strategy 2012 are Central Molonglo, Stromlo Valley, Bulgar Creek and West Murrumbidgee identified as “future urban areas”.
(2) Which parts, and on what basis, of the Western Edge study area on page 40 of the ACT Planning Strategy 2012 are considered to be “future urban areas”.
(3) On what basis have some individual areas been selected as “future urban areas”, which agency or Minister made this decision and on what date.
Mr Gentleman: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Page 40 of the ACT Planning Strategy maps ‘future areas’ including the western edge study area in the context of managing growth in the ACT. Page 43 also calls for the preparation of structure/concept plans for greenfield areas on the urban edge that appropriately add to the efficient use of existing infrastructure of Canberra. By definition, a Structure Plan sets out principles and policies for development of future urban areas (Section 92 Planning and Development Act) while a Concept Plan applies the principles and policies in the structure plan to future urban areas (Section 93 Planning and Development Act 2007).
(2) All areas within the defined Western Edge Study Area on page 40 are considered to be potential ‘future urban areas’ pending further detailed environmental and infrastructure capacity investigations. However, the Government has made clear its opposition to land west of the Murrumbidgee (i.e. in Paddys River, west of Tuggeranong) being developed for residential use, and this will be reflected in future planning documents.
(3) Presently, no areas within the Western Edge Study Area have been selected as future urban areas. The selection of areas will be informed by future detailed environmental and infrastructure capacity investigations.
(Question No 359)
Mrs Dunne asked the Treasurer, upon notice, on 4 August 2017:
In relation to (a) two payments totalling $432,309.42 made to Eighth Day Sound Pty Ltd on 7 February 2017 and listed in the Notifiable Invoices Register for February 2017 as