Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 11 Hansard (Thursday, 22 September 2005) . . Page.. 3668 ..
(3) When will (a) Phase 1 of the project be completed and (b) work start on Phase 2 of the project;
(4) Have any of the funds allocated for Phase 2 been expended to date; if so, how much and what has been delivered for that expenditure;
(5) What is the delay with Phase 1 and Phase 2 of this project;
(6) Why has only $22 000 of the $300 000 allocated in the 2003-04 Budget for forward design for Sub and Non-Acute Inpatient Services for the ACT been expended;
(7) Does this mean that the forward design for the facility has not yet been completed and is this part of the reason this project has been delayed.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Preliminary Sketch Plans for the new Sub and Non Acute (SNAS) Unit were completed by March 2005.
(2) $219,000.00 was expended by the end of 2004/05.
(3) Phase 1 and 2 no longer exist as such. The project was funded over 2 financial years and funding was allocated accordingly. Now that the design is complete, construction will follow. The facility is now in construction documentation phase. The consultant team has been engaged with the exception of the Construction Manager. It is planned to deliver this project by a lump sum contract, with construction anticipated to commence January 2006, completion December 2006.
(4) No funds have been used from Phase 2 funding at this stage. All remaining funding is now allocated to the construction phase of the project. Cash flow expenditure will accelerate during construction and it is anticipated that all funds will be expended by the end of the project.
(5) The delay has only been with ‘stage 1’, which has involved the design and documentation of the facility. Given the extensive number of groups involved in stakeholder consultation it has taken time well in excess of initial expectations. Design reviews have also been a frequent requirement as the project team endeavoured to bring the facility back to budget.
(6) The same design consultant was engaged for the Canberra Medical School and the Sub and Non Acute Service. Coding of expenditure was initially not broken into each sub project. Full expenditure has been achieved against this funding and future reporting will reflect this.
(7) Final Sketch Plans for the design of the Sub and Non Acute Facility are complete. Construction and tender documentation is presently being undertaken ready for the first letting of trade packages in January 2006.
(Question No 524)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 24 August 2005: