Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 12 Hansard (Thursday, 1 November 2018) . . Page.. 4790 ..
Approval is routinely provided for gridiron due to the timing of this sport’s season that extends through the pre-summer shutdown period. Arrangements are also made for special tournaments of significance, finals or games that have postponed due to wet weather.
(A copy of the attachment is available at the Chamber Support Office).
Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders—Boomanulla Oval
(Question No 1886)
Mr Milligan asked the Minister for Sport and Recreation, upon notice, on 21 September 2018:
(1) What benefit to the Boomanulla Oval is community consultation and tender processes if a decision takes 18 months counter to the community want.
(2) What assurances can the Minister give the local community that Boomanulla Oval will not be mismanaged.
(3) Given the $958 000 spent to restore the Bommanulla Oval, why is the facility not available for sport or community use.
(4) What plans are there for Boomanulla Oval in the long term in terms of the Indigenous community in the ACT, local residents and sport recreation users across Canberra.
Ms Berry: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1. The tender process that commenced in 2016 to return Boomanulla Oval to Indigenous management was entered into in good faith with the community. Given the complexity of the process, and the importance of the outcome, a considerable effort went into analysing the proposal and looking at ways to make the proposal work. Unfortunately this took time.
The outcomes of the community consultation that accompanied the process will not be lost. This piece of work remains available to inform the future direction for the oval and its return to sustainable indigenous management.
2. The ACT Government is committed to working with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community on the long term future of Boomanulla Oval.
3. Following the completion of the interim restoration works in mid-October, Boomanulla Oval will re-open for recreation and community activities. The ACT Government is currently looking at options for the future upgrade of the oval to enable formal sporting use, in consultation with the Elected Body.
4. Refer to response to Q3.