Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 12 Hansard (Thursday, 26 October 2017) . . Page.. 4516 ..
(3) What are the peak periods for vehicle trips in the ACT on an average working day.
(4) Can the Minister provide traffic data showing the number of vehicle trips on an average working day for (a) 2013-14, (b) 2014-15, (c) 2015-16 and (d) 2016-17.
(5) What are the ten ACT roads with the highest volume of vehicle trips on an average working day.
(6) What are the vehicle movements on (a) Commonwealth Avenue Bridge and (b) Kings Avenue Bridge in 2016-17 by total trips (i) each day, (ii) morning peak period and (iii) evening peak period.
Ms Fitzharris: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Data is based on tube counts and traffic signals counts.
(2) Raw traffic counts data are used as input to the Canberra Strategic Transport Model (CSTM) that is used to estimate and forecast vehicle trips to inform transport planning in the ACT. The CSTM also uses census data and, therefore, only generates vehicle trip estimates for the peak periods for designated years aligned with the Census, i.e. 2011, 2016 and 2021. The model suggests that during the morning peak there were 115,870 vehicle trips each day in 2011 and 128,424 vehicle trips in 2016. Estimates are not available for the specific periods requested.
(3) The CSTM assumes that on an average working day, the peak periods for vehicle trips in the ACT is between 8am and 9am and between 5pm and 6pm.
(4) The model only simulates traffic during the peak periods of a working day.
(5) The CSTM indicates that the ten ACT roads with the highest volume of vehicle trips on an average working morning peak in 2016 are as follows:
• Parkes Way;
• Commonwealth Avenue;
• Adelaide Avenue;
• Barry Drive;
• William Hovell Drive;
• Monaro Highway;
• Belconnen Way;
• Tuggeranong Parkway;
• Northbourne Avenue; and
• Canberra Avenue.
(6) Based on the average weekday data:
(a) Counts over Commonwealth Avenue Bridge:
(i) Each day - 62,001 vehicles per day.
(ii) Morning peak – 7,334 vehicles per day.
(iii) Evening peak – 6,458 vehicles per day.