Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 02 Hansard (Thursday, 16 February 2017) . . Page.. 660 ..
(7) What is the estimated budget required to maintain an individual sports ground or oval and what is the (a) breakdown of that cost and (b) total budget that has been allocated towards maintenance and upkeep of ovals and sports grounds.
(8) What is the priority for the maintenance of sports grounds.
(9) In relation to the status of oval closures and openings since mid-2015, of the 32 closed ovals how many have been refurbished and reopened and what is the priority for the reopening of further ovals and sports grounds.
Ms Berry: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Refer to Attachment A.
(2) The 2013-14 to 2016-17 strategy increased sportsground hire fees by a base rate of six per cent each year, with some further increases (within a 10 per cent upper threshold) to some junior training fees, to achieve a policy position that junior fees equate to 50 per cent of senior fees over a reasonable period.
(3) All revenue associated with the hire of the ACT Government sportsgrounds managed by Active Canberra is retained by the business unit and utilised to offset expenditure to maintain these assets.
(4) The ACT Government subsidised the maintenance of ACT Government sportsgrounds by 86 per cent in 2015-16, the sportsground hire fees collected represents the remaining 14 per cent of the budget.
(5) All revenue associated with hire of the ACT Government sportsgrounds managed by Active Canberra is retained by the business unit and utilised to offset expenditure to maintain these assets. The sporting clubs responsibilities are for making bookings and responsible use of the sportsgrounds in accordance with the conditions of hire.
(6) Refer to Attachment A.
(7) As an average, the total maintenance cost for ACT Government sportsgrounds per year is approximately $50,000 per hectare, noting that the maintenance costs will vary on a site by site basis and will also vary from year to year.
a) The breakdown of maintenance costs vary on a site by site basis. Typical expenses may include: utility costs (water, electricity, gas), mowing, cleaning, waste removal, pest/weed control, fertiliser and turf amendments including soil testing, aeration, dethatching, renovation cost including top soil and seed supplies, irrigation repairs and materials, floodlighting repairs, repairs and maintenance for buildings including vandalism repairs, plant and equipment including maintenance vehicles and machinery, management and operational staff costs.
b) Expenditure to maintain the ACT Government sportsgrounds in 2015-16 was $15.724 million.
(8) Active Canberra’s priority for the maintenance is to ensure that sportsgrounds and related facilities are maintained in a safe and fit for purpose condition.