Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2011 Week 01 Hansard (Thursday, 17 February 2011) . . Page.. 395 ..
There has been strong community response to the noise awareness campaign, ToiletSmart Plus and other water and energy saving measures. Further, there has been successful recruitment resulting from electronic and print media. Other elements of advertising have not been formally assessed.
Government—advertising(Question No 1321)
Mr Seselja asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 8 December 2010:
(1) What advertising has been undertaken in the Minister’s portfolio in 2010-11 to date and what is the purpose of the advertising.
(2) What is the cost of the advertising referred to in part (1).
(3) What proportion of the 2010-11 advertising budget does this expenditure represent.
(4) What form of advertising has been used.
(5) Why has this form of advertising been used.
(6) How effective has this advertising been.
Mr Barr: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The Department of Education and Training undertook general non-campaign advertising in 2010-11 to provide the ACT community and international markets with information on ACT public schools. The Department also undertook recruitment advertising for the purpose of attracting applicants for vacancies.
(2) The cost of general advertising as at 31 December 2010 was $55 357. The cost of recruitment advertising to 31 December 2010 was $57 843.
(3) The Media and Communications section of the Department has a budget of $120 642 for administrative expenses including general advertising. Line areas within the Department also have budget for administrative expenses which may be used for advertising, promotion or printing.
(4) General advertising commitments include the Telstra White Pages public schools listing, enrolment advertising, advertising in support of vocational education and training and advertising to attract international students to the ACT. The majority of advertising is in print media, with additional promotional materials being produced for such activities as the Royal Canberra Show, Public Education Week and international education. Bus-back advertising on a specific ACTION bus route has been used to promote the new Gungahlin College. Recruitment advertising was placed in press and online.
(5) Advertising media were chosen to target specific audiences.