Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video

Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 05 Hansard (Thursday, 6 May 2010) . . Page.. 1969 ..

b. For profit organisations –

i) Belconnen, 235 places;

ii) Gungahlin, 405 places;

iii) North Canberra, 671 places;

iv) South Canberra, 1033 places;

v) Weston Creek there are 0 places;

vi) Woden, 333 places; and

vii) Tuggeranong, 408 places.

4. There are 22 non-profit child care centres which are managed by parent committees. 9 of these are located in Belconnen, 6 in North Canberra, 2 in South Canberra, 3 in Woden and 1 each in Weston Creek and Tuggeranong.

5. The Australian government with states and territories have developed a communication strategy which will provide ongoing information and updates to service providers and families about the National Quality Framework. An initial communiqué was provided to all child care services through the Child Care Management System in early March.

Regular updates are posted on Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations Early Childhood website ( and also on the Australian Government’s My Child website

Links to these websites are provided on the Department of Disability, Housing and Community Services, Children’s Policy and Regulation Unit’s website.

The Children’s Policy and Regulation Unit within the Department of Disability, Housing and Community Services regularly provides information to the child care sector on the National Quality Framework at the ACT Children’s Services Forum, the most recent of which was held on 26 March 2010. Information was also provided at the child care directors meeting on 17 March 2010 and in a quarterly newsletter. Information is being provided to existing proprietors with all new licences and renewals issued and to prospective proprietors who are planning on developing new services.

6. 110 child care centres in the ACT cater to children aged under two. Approximately 20% of these child care centres are operating with ratios of 1:4 for children under two. The remaining 80% currently have a ratio of one staff member to every five children aged under two.

7. During the period of November 2009 and 24 February 2010 I visited one community-based child care centre. This was on 13 November 2009 where I visited the Narrabundah Early Childhood School.

Emergency Services Agency—sheds
(Question No 621)

Mr Rattenbury asked the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 25 February 2010:

(1) In relation to the $2 270 000 allocated in the 2009-10 budget for the refurbishment of the Emergency Services Agency (ESA) sheds at Jerrabomberra and Rivers, what is the current status of each project.

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video