Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video

Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 05 Hansard (Wednesday, 5 May 2010) . . Page.. 1709 ..

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

The Assembly met at 10am.

(Quorum formed.)

MR SPEAKER (Mr Rattenbury) took the chair and asked members to stand in silence and pray or reflect on their responsibilities to the people of the Australian Capital Territory.


Ms Bresnan, by leave, presented the following paper:

Radiation Protection (Tanning Units) Amendment Bill 2010—Explanatory statement, dated 5 May 2010.

MS PORTER (Ginninderra) (10.03): I present the following paper:

Retirement Villages Bill 2010—

Exposure draft.

Supporting document, dated May 2010.

I seek leave to make a brief statement in relation to the paper.

Leave granted.

MS PORTER: It gives me great pleasure to table in the Assembly today the exposure draft of the Retirement Villages Bill 2010.

Some members will recall that I formally tabled Retirement villages in the ACT: a discussion paper in August 2008, which was compiled after extensive research into the retirement village legislation in other jurisdictions across Australia and a lengthy consultation process involving people living in or with an interest in living in a retirement village, the industry and relevant peak bodies.

At the time of tabling the discussion paper, I drew members’ attention to the fact that the ACT has one of the fastest growing populations of older people in Australia. The 2006 census indicates there are almost 66,000 people aged 55 years and over living in the ACT. It is expected that by 2047 the proportion of people living in the ACT aged 65 years and over will represent 21.5 per cent of the total population. This is double the current elderly portion of our population. In fact, ACT government population projections predict that from 2006 to 2016 we will see a 5.2 per cent increase in people aged 60 years and over, moving from 13.7 per cent of the total ACT population to 18.9 per cent.

The challenges posed by our ageing population are increasingly becoming the focus of economic and social policy, not only for the ACT government but for government

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video