Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 14 Hansard (Tuesday, 17 November 2009) . . Page.. 5053 ..
Tuesday, 17 November 2009
MR SPEAKER (Mr Rattenbury) took the chair at 10 am, made a formal recognition that the Assembly was meeting on the lands of the traditional custodians, and asked members to stand in silence and pray or reflect on their responsibilities to the people of the Australian Capital Territory.
Waramanga shopping centre—petition No 101—ministerial response
The Clerk: The following response to a petition has been lodged by a minister:
By Mr Stanhope, Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, dated 13 November 2009, in response to a petition lodged by Mr Barr on 25 August 2009 concerning public facilities at the Waramanga Shopping Centre.
The terms of the response will be recorded in Hansard.
The response read as follows:
• The ACT Government notes the petition submitted by the petitioners, tabled by Mr Andrew Barr MLA on 25 August 2009 and makes the following comments:
• Public toilets were previously provided at some of Canberra’s older suburban shops, but this practice ceased in the 1960s.
• Facilities that are functional at these older suburban shops are still being maintained by the Department of Territory and Municipal Services.
• In new, larger commercial developments or as shopping centres are redeveloped, it is a development condition that public-access toilets be provided and maintained by the body corporate managers of the shopping centre.
• The Department of Territory and Municipal Services will undertake a review of the current situation and develop options that might provide for toilets at existing shopping centres that are currently without facilities accessible to the public.
• These options will be considered in the context of available funding, noting that the cost of construction and maintenance is a key factor to be considered by the Government.
MR STANHOPE (Ginninderra—Chief Minister, Minister for Transport, Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, Minister for Business and Economic Development, Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs and Minister for the Arts and Heritage) (10.02), by leave: I move: