Page 4678 - Week 13 - Tuesday, 10 November 2009
• The Parkwood facility complies with current ACT Legislation and the production method is accepted as a lawful form of egg production in all Australian jurisdictions.
• In September 2007 the ACT Government offered an industry assistance package to Pace Farms Macgregor of $1 million to convert their current cage egg production system to a barn egg production system. The assistance package is still available.
• Sales data indicates that over 75% of all eggs sold in the ACT are sourced from cage production facilities either produced in the ACT or originating from other jurisdictions.
• All Government agencies and faculties are required to source either barn-laid or free-range eggs as an alternative to using cage produced eggs.
• The ACT Government does not support the banning of cage egg production in the ACT without a national ban being in place.
• Amendments to the Eggs (Labelling and Sale) Act 2001 have recently been passed in the Assembly which will help to ensure consumers are more aware of the production method being utilised, relevant to their egg purchase.
Leave of absence
Motion (by Mr Corbell) agreed to:
That leave of absence be granted to Mr Hargreaves for the period 10-19 November 2009 due to ill health.
Administration and Procedure—Standing Committee
MR CORBELL (Molonglo—Attorney-General, Minister for the Environment, Climate Change and Water, Minister for Energy and Minister for Police and Emergency Services) (10.02): Pursuant to standing order 223, I move:
That the following changes be made to the membership of the Standing Committee on Administration and Procedure:
Ms Burch be discharged from the Standing Committee on Administration and Procedure and Ms Porter be appointed in her place for the period 10 November to 20 November 2009 and that Mr Hargreaves be appointed to the Committee from 23 November 2009.
Question resolved in the affirmative.