Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 06 Hansard (Monday, 11 May 2009) . . Page.. 2260 ..
(3) Based on the its quarterly workforce data reports ACT Health has approximately 300 positions not filled permanently at any one time, however this can change on a daily basis. These positions may be filled on a temporary basis. There are a number of reasons for them not being filled permanently including:
• Assessment that the position in its current form may not be required on an ongoing basis;
• Restructuring or redesign of a service; and
• Labour market shortages
A number of strategies have been effected to decrease the level of vacancies Including:
• Increased Graduate Nurse and Intern placements;
• Establishment of national and international recruitment panels; and
• Partnerships with tertiary education providers to increase the pool of job candidates.
The intention is always to fill permanently any position required on an ongoing basis.
(4) No positions have been advertised internationally from 2 April 2009 to 29 April 2009. Whether a position is advertised internationally before 30 June 2009 will depend on the outcome of other recruitment strategies.
ACT public service—positions
(Question No 206)
Mr Seselja asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 2 April 2009:
(1) How many people in your Department have been retrenched or made redundant from 1 July 2008 to 31 March 2009, and what was the reason for these retrenchments or redundancies.
(2) How many temporary employees in your Department have not had their contracts renewed from 1 July 2008 to 31 March 2009, and what was the reason for the failure to renew contracts.
(3) How many unfilled vacancies exist in your Department as at 31 March 2009, and how many positions does your Department intend to fill between 2 April 2009 and 30 June 2009.
(4) How many of these positions will be advertised internationally between 2 April 2009 and 30 June 2009, and what is the proposed expenditure for these advertisements.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1. 3 non executive staff. Positions no longer required.
2. 45. Temporary contracts are utilised to fill short term needs and are ceased when that requirement no longer exists.