Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 04 Hansard (Thursday, 26 March 2009) . . Page.. 1526 ..
(Question No 84)
Mr Seselja asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 26 February 2009:
(1) What is the progress of negotiations to transfer the Assembly library to the Legislative Assembly Secretariat.
(2) Will the library retain its responsibility as the ACT Government library; if so, will the Minister’s department provide resources to the Secretariat to fund the ACT Government services; if not, what will the Department do to provide an ACT Government library service.
(3) Will the transfer of the Assembly Library be completed within six months of the first sitting of the current Assembly on 5 November as specified in the Labor / Greens agreement; if not, when will the transfer be completed.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1. Discussions are underway between officers of Territory and Municipal Services (ACT Library and Information Service) and the Clerk of the Assembly to identify the best model for the governance and operation of the Assembly Library in relation to the Assembly Secretariat.
2. Whichever model is decided upon, library services will continue to be provided to ACT Government agencies. The funding of library services to both the Assembly and to government agencies will be determined as part of the assessment of options and will be subject to 2009/10 budget deliberations.
3. Discussions with the Speaker have identified that it is preferable to establish a workable, cost effective model that takes into account the needs of library users, the transparency of government, the staff of the library service and the overall budget considerations for the ACT Government. Therefore the appropriate time is being allocated to consideration of structure and service delivery.
Waste disposal—Glebe Park recycling bins
(Question No 87)
Ms Le Couteur asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 26 February 2009:
(1) Is data about recycling bins from Glebe Park still being collected and used.
(2) Has the Government done anything to improve signage and bin design for recycling bins in Glebe Park given that this has been identified as an issue in improving peoples’ use of recycling bins.