Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2009 Week 04 Hansard (Thursday, 26 March 2009) . . Page.. 1508 ..
Waste disposal—parks and reserves
(Question No 62)
Mr Coe asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 12 February 2009:
(1) What has been the impact of the removal of rubbish bins from many of Canberra’s parks and reserves.
(2) How many bins have been removed from Canberra’s parks and reserves.
(3) Which parks and reserves no longer have rubbish bins as a result of this program.
(4) What is the cost saving of not collecting rubbish at Canberra’s parks and reserves.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1. In regard to areas managed by Parks and Reserves, the recent rubbish bin removal exercise has been to educate users of the Murrumbidgee River Corridor (MRC) recreation areas to remove their rubbish when they leave – take away whatever they bring with them and recycle it at home through the kerb-side recycling service. Rubbish bins were successfully removed from other areas within the ACT Nature park system including Tidbinbilla and Namadgi many years ago and this is simply a continuation of this ‘carry in’ ‘carry out’ policy.
The removal of rubbish bins and installation of associated educational signage is consistent with the MRC Plan of Management’s Strategy 9.4(a):
“to encourage visitors to take responsibility for their own waste”.
2. Seventy nine bins have been removed.
3. Cotter Recreation area, Pine Island, Casuarina Sands and Tharwa Bridge Picnic area.
4. The cost saving is $40,000 per annum.
When the bins were first removed there was the expected increase in litter. However this has now subsided to some extent and is expected to return to background levels as visitors become educated of the “carry it in - carry it out policy”. Ranger patrols and interpretative signage are assisting in this education process.
(Question No 63)
Mr Coe asked the Minister for Disability and Housing, upon notice, on 12 February 2009:
(1) How much did Housing ACT spend on travel including itemised amounts for airfares, accommodation and travel allowance for the (a) 2007-08 financial year and (b) 2008-09 financial year to 31 December 2008.