Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2008 Week 08 Hansard (Thursday, 7 August 2008) . . Page.. 3156 ..
(1) In relation to an ongoing street light replacement program in the suburbs of Kingston, Griffith and Narrabundah, can the Minister detail the full schedule of street lights replaced to date as well as the completion date for those not yet commenced in the (a) 2007-08 and (b) 2008-09 financial year;
(2) Can the Minister outline the process by which street lights are replaced, including contractor’s dealings with ActewAGL that request that individual street lights or whole streets are isolated whilst work is being conducted, and outline the Department of Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) policy or guidelines relating to the length of time street lights can be isolated while ensuring public safety;
(3) Can the Minister provide a schedule of the period of time that street lights in Kingston and Griffith were/are isolated whilst replacement work was/is being undertaken;
(4) Can the Minister explain why street lights on Oxley Street, Dawes Street and Eyre Street in Kingston have remained isolated since February 2008, resulting in several falls by residents negotiating steps and cracked footpaths at night time;
(5) When do you expect the street lights on the streets outlined in part (4) to be turned back on;
(6) Does the ACT Government accept any liability for injuries sustained by residents as a direct result of such negligence on TAMS part.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
1. I am not prepared to authorise the use of the considerable resources that would be involved in providing the detailed information required to answer this question.
2. Streetlights are replaced by contract. The contractor is required to liaise directly with the power supply authority (ActewAGL) to effect those disconnections that are required for safe working. TAMS target time for restoring a missing streetlight pole or severed cable under the maintenance program is 30 days however under a construction contract the isolation is effected for as long as is necessary to ensure the safety of those working on the project.
3. 2006/07 Streetlighting Capital Upgrades
Isolation at individual poles in Narrabundah occurred on a daily basis. An ActewAGL officer accompanied the contractor during the pole replacements and isolated/reconnected each pole as it was replaced. The areas of works along Kennedy Street were isolated on 17 and 18 June 2008. These works are currently underway and will be completed by 15 July 2008.
There have also been five separate isolations in the Kingston/Griffith area as part of the 2007/08 Cable Upgrade Program. These include:
• Part of Frome St, Blaxland Crescent, Wills Street, Barrallier Street - isolated 31/01/2008, reconnection 15/04/2008;
• Part of Oxley Street, Eyre Street, Dawes Street - isolated 31/03/2008 reconnection 11/06/2008;
• Giles Street close to Canberra Avenue (one streetlight only) - isolated 31/03/2008. ActewAGL have inspected the works 22/05/2008 and 11/06/2008. The streetlight has not yet been connected;
• Light Street, part of Evans Crescent - isolated 22/04/2008 and reconnected on the 19/06/2008;