Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2008 Week 04 Hansard (Thursday, 10 April 2008) . . Page.. 1379 ..
After careful consideration of the question, and advice provided by my Department, I have determined that to answer the question in full would be a major task, requiring a considerable diversion of resources.
However, I would like to provide Mr Seselja with a few highlights on this Government’s spending on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community related programs and services since coming to office in 2001.
Since 2001, the Government has provided significant financial resources to support the delivery of a range of services and programs that will substantially improve the education, health, housing, justice, employment and well-being outcomes for Indigenous Canberrans.
Significant funding allocations have been made in recent years by this Government, in consultation with the local Indigenous community, for new services, programs and facilities, including:
– the establishment of the ACT Aboriginal Justice Centre ($1.4m);
– the establishment of a discrete functional unit – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Services - to work towards addressing the over-representation of ATSI children and young people in care and protection and community youth justice systems ($2.3m);
– the substantial refurbishment of the Aboriginal Cultural Centre ($1.0m);
– a new Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Residential Rehabilitation Service ($10.8m);
– the significant expansion of housing capacity for Indigenous Canberrans ($4.5m);
– the development of a range of education initiatives to improve literacy and numeracy outcomes for Indigenous students who are not reaching their potential ($3.3m);
– the development and administration of the Indigenous Traineeship Program for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to gain structured training and employment in the ACT Public Service ($0.020m);
– the establishment of an Indigenous Elected Body, through legislation, providing members of the local Indigenous community with the capacity for genuine representation ($0.700m).
(Question No 1935)
Mrs Dunne asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 4 March 2008:
(1) How much (a) was spent in the financial years (i) 2001/02, (ii) 2002/03, (iii) 2003/04, (iv) 2004/05, (v) 2005/06 and (vi) 2006/07 and (b) is proposed to be spent in 2007-08 on the management, containment and eradication of weeds in the ACT;
(2) What techniques are used to manage weeds in the ACT;
(3) Does the Minister’s department operate under particular protocols to limit the spread of weeds;