Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 12 Hansard (Thursday, 20 October 2005) . . Page.. 4078 ..
Waste disposal—illegal dumping
(Question No 667)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice, on 22 September 2005:
(1) How many fines have been issued for littering, rubbish dumping, and all other applicable categories since the introduction of the Litter Act 2004 during (a) 2003-04, (b) 2004-05 and (c) 2005-06 to date;
(2) What is the total value of those fines applicable to the financial years listed in part (1);
(3) Can the Government provide evidence that all of the fines issued under the Litter Act 2004 were not issued illegally and that authorised officers under the Act did receive all the details, for example names and addresses, required to issue fines to offenders voluntarily, without the offender being prompted or asked to do so by authorised officers; if so, how was this accomplished; if not, why not.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The number of fines issued for littering, rubbish dumping, and all other applicable categories since the introduction of the Litter Act 2004 during
(a) 2003-04 is 0.
The Litter Act 2004 came into effect in September 2004 after the end of the 2003-2004 financial year.
(b) 2004-05 is 28
(c) 2005-06 to date is 15
(2) (a) 2003-04- $0
(b) 2004-05 - $7100
(c) 2005-06 to date - $3920
(3) All infringements have been legally issued. Authorised officers obtain the required information for an infringement by asking the perpetrator for their details. In the case of all infringements issued to date, the perpetrators have provided this information willingly. Until the recent amendments to the Litter Act 2004 there was no legal requirement for the perpetrator to divulge this information unless they were deemed the ‘occupier of premises’ as prescribed under the Act.
(Question No 669)
Mr Pratt asked the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 22 September 2005:
(1) How many fines have been issued to bicycle riders for (a) failure to wear a helmet and (b) other offences in (i) 2001-02, (ii) 2002-03, (iii) 2003-04, (iv) 2004-05 and (v) 2005-06 to date;
(2) How many of these fines were (a) contested and (b) dismissed for the years listed in part (1);