Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 11 Hansard (Thursday, 22 September 2005) . . Page.. 3691 ..
artwork is being commissioned for the ACT Prison. This project is tied to the building schedule and will be completed when the Prison building is completed in 2007 (Budget $110,000).
Arts works on arts facilities were being planned, designed and procured in the first three quarters of the year with construction work completed by 30 June 2005.
(2) Total expenditure at end 2004-05 financial year for:
a) Public Art Program - $10,185
b) Facilities - $101,125 (budget fully expensed)
(3) The $10,185 for public art was used to run a design competition for the Lake Ginninderra artwork and provide the selected artists with a 5% payment for the final design phase.
(4) The Government has committed $1 million over two years to commission iconic public artworks for Canberra.
(5) The $2,000 was spent on design work for disabled access to the Gorman House Arts Centre.
(6) The Government has a significant program of work planned for, and already commenced, in the current year for arts facilities. Ultimately this work will lead to a greater number, diversity and quality of opportunities for our community to access and participate in local arts activities. Work currently underway or planned for this year, includes:
• commencing final design for the Belconnen Arts and Cultural Centre;
• finalising design and commencing construction of the Glass Centre in the Powerhouse at Kingston Foreshore;
• undertaking a cost benefit analysis on the establishment of a major new Choreographic facility in the ACT; and
• developing a functional requirements brief for a significant new performing arts complex in City West.
(7) The Government is ensuring that capital expenditure in the arts is given a high priority, as evidenced by the significant list of current arts facilities projects outlined at (6) above.
This Government has committed more funds to commissioning new public art in this financial year than has any previous ACT Government in any previous year.
Glassworks project—capital expenditure
(Question No 552)
Mr Smyth asked the Minister for Arts, Heritage and Indigenous Affairs, upon notice, on 25 August 2005:
(1) What is the delay with the Glassworks project;
(2) What was the total amount of capital expenditure on this project as at the end of the 2004-05 financial year;