Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 05 Hansard (Thursday, 7 April 2005) . . Page.. 1625 ..
(1) How many, if any, sex-abuse allegations have been made against foster carers in the ACT since 2001;
(2) How many such allegations have been shown to be false;
(3) How many, if any, foster carers have refused to take more children since 2001;
(4) How many, if any, homeless children have been housed in motel or comparable accommodation with social workers while awaiting placement since 2001.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) Since 2001 there has been one recorded allegation of sexual abuse by a foster carer.
(2) There have been no substantiated allegations of sexual abuse by a foster carer.
(3) The Office for Children, Youth and Family Support does not recruit foster carers. The provision of foster care in the ACT is managed by contractual arrangement between the Office for Children, Youth and Family Support and approved out-of-home care providers in the Territory. The information requested would require the non-government foster care agencies to re-direct resources to undertake an extensive search of their records. Further, Open Family who was contracted is no longer a provider of out-of-home care services.
(4) Emergency hotel accommodation for a child and paid carer has been arranged by the Office for approximately four children since 2001, while an appropriate placement was sought.
(Question No 260)
Mr Smyth asked the Chief Minister, upon notice, on 10 March 2005:
(1) Have any consultants been used to date this financial year in your portfolio; if so, what was the
(a) name of the consultant
(b) address of the consultant
(c) cost of the consultancy and
(d) service provided by the consultants;
(2) Has or will a report been prepared by the consultant/s; if so, where may copies be obtained.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
The answer to the Member’s question in relation to the Chief Minister’s portfolio is detailed in the following attachment.
A copy of the attachment is available at the Chamber Support Office.