Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 04 Hansard (Thursday, 17 March 2005) . . Page.. 1256 ..
Prisons and prisoners—Quamby
(Question No 136)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Children, Youth and Family Support, upon notice, on 16 February 2005:
(1) Did the Minister make a media announcement on 25 March 2004 regarding an increase in funding for the redevelopment of Quamby from $13.2 million to $20 million which is an increase of $6.8 million;
(2) Will all of the $20 million promised for the upgrade of Quamby be expended on the facility, which is still awaiting its full upgrade; if not, why not;
(3) Will the full and original redevelopment, as detailed in the Minister’s media release of 25 March 2004, be completed by December 2006; if not, why not.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(2) In August 2004, the Government announced that it would not proceed with the redevelopment of Quamby but would instead build a new youth detention centre in a new location. Thus the $20m will not be spent on the Quamby redevelopment. The Government also announced that $4m would be spent on urgent remedial works at Quamby such as the refurbishment of the time-out room and the procurement of demountable units to provide additional accommodation options and educational facilities. A feasibility study to consider site options and inclusions in the new facility is scheduled for completion in April 2005. The timing of the construction of the new facility will not be known until the completion of the feasibility study.
(3) No. See the response to Question 2 above.
(Question No 142)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice, on 16 February 2005, (redirected to the Chief Minister):
Have partnerships been established with Disability WORKS Australia to assist in accessing the talent pool of people with a disability interested in employment prospects with the ACT Public Service; if not, why not.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
Yes. A Memorandum of Agreement was signed on 9 December 2004 with Disability WORKS Australia, the ACT New Apprenticeship Centres and ACT disability employment service organisations.