Page 917 - Week 03 - Thursday, 10 March 2005

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . .

Spent Convictions Act, I would probably feel more comfortable about it. But, in the context of what I regard as a one-off exception—the granting of broad discretion to the Commissioner for Fair Trading in relation to agents—the government will not support these amendments.

Proposed new clauses 6A and 6B negatived.

Clause 7 agreed to.

Remainder of bill, by leave, taken as a whole and agreed to.

Bill agreed to.


Canberra Hospital

MR CORBELL (Molonglo—Minister for Health and Minister for Planning) (5.34): Mr Speaker, I move:

That the Assembly do now adjourn.

I would like to continue with highlighting some successful instances that people have written to me about in relation to their care at the Canberra Hospital and the ACT’s other public health facilities. I would like to refer members, and indeed read into Hansard, to a letter I received on 1 February this year from a gentleman who had an experience with the Canberra Hospital. Again, I will take the approach of not wanting to identify these people, but simply of relaying to members their experiences. The letter reads:

Dear Mr Corbell,

I suffer from type 2 diabetes. Two weeks ago, a blister under the ball of my right foot burst. Like all veteran footballers, I made a mental note of what a nuisance it was, sprinkled the wound with baby powder and forgot about it. Forgot about it, that is, until about four days later, when I was scarcely able to walk.

I took it to my GP, who took one look and told me that I had a ruptured abscess, not a burst boil. For a diabetic like me, this was the first of not very many steps on a steep downhill path. At the end of the path it would be necessary to amputate my foot or ankle or both. He made an urgent appointment for me to visit the Canberra Hospital Podiatry Unit 24th January.

There, Melissa took me under her wing, cleaned and sterilised the affected areas and arranged for Drs Harry and Ken to inspect it and decide on the cure to be sought. This was done speedily and I was first enrolled onto the list of hospital patients, then transferred to the “Hospital in the Home program”.

I had not previously heard of this, but was much impressed to meet the enthusiastic team who called on me morning and evening for the rest of the week to administer injections and change dressings. Friday 28th it was decided (by Melissa and Doctors Harry and Ken) that the hospital’s attentions had proved so successful that I could be discharged from the hospital. The injections were to be discontinued and my foot would henceforth be dressed with sterile dressings only.

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . .