Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 12 Hansard (20 November) . . Page.. 4518 ..
(Question No 1028)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice:
In relation to Currong Apartments, Civic:
(1) What is the current timeframe with respect to the future of Currong Apartments in terms of upgrades, demolition, redevelopment or other, or a combination of these or other options;
(2) Further to (1), when and how will the residents be notified of such plans;
(3) Has any correspondence been forwarded recently to current residents at Currong Apartments concerning its future, (if so, please supply a copy of any such correspondence(s));
(4) Please indicate the current state of occupation at Currong Apartments (please provide a breakdown for each of the blocks in terms of occupied, vacant, and other status (eg presently occupied but to be vacated shortly etc));
(5) It has been suggested that the three Currong Apartment blocks may be demolished and replaced with structures similar to the Allawah and Bega Court structures. Is there any real likelihood of development along these lines;
(6) What plans, if any, are in place for temporary relocation of Currong Apartments residents, including a timeframe for such process.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) I advised residents on 27 October 2003 that the building will be decommissioned and either sold or redeveloped.
(2) Each tenant received a personal letter from me which was hand delivered to the tenant by a Housing Manager. Each tenant was invited to attend two meetings on 28 October 2003 followed by regular meetings with the relocation team.
(3) Please see (1) and (2) above. A copy of my letter and the flyers handed out by Housing ACT are attached.
(4) As at 4 November 2003, there are 190 tenancies in Currong Apartments together with four tenants temporarily relocated from Northbourne Flats while their apartments are being upgraded.
(6) None. The residents will be permanently relocated.