Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 4 Hansard (3 April) . . Page.. 1483 ..
(3) A number of discussions have taken place with the National Capital Authority on how to rehabilitate these areas burnt in the Christmas 2001 fires.
(4) No action will be taken to replant until the National Capital Authority releases its management plan for rehabilitating these burnt areas by the lake. However, over the next few months, the burnt pine stumps and logs will be mulched and the weeds will be sprayed on the Territory's area.
(5) It is important to be consistent with the National Capital Authority's management plan for the burnt areas between the lake and the Tuggeranong Parkway. When the management plan is released, the Territory will decide what trees should be replanted on this site.
(Question No 559)
Mr Cornwell asked the Chief Minister, upon notice, on 2 April 2003:
In relation to the block clearing following the January 18 bushfires:
(1) How many blocks have (a) Bovis Lend Lease (b) other contractors undertaken to clear;
(2) What is the approximate waiting time for clearance of (a) and (b) above;
(3) Is it a fact that residents cannot obtain the $5000 government assistance unless they contract the block clearance with Bovis Lend Lease;
(4) If the reply to (3) above is affirmative, why is this so;
(5) What was the per block contractural price between Bovis Lend Lease and the Government.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) No individual or company has undertaken to clear a set number of blocks of land. The Government has contracted Bovis Lend Lease as project manager to find demolition and clean up contractors for property owners who want to use their services. Notwithstanding this, in relation to (a) to date 411 property owners have sought quotes from Bovis Lend Lease. (b) The number of property owners seeking to use other contractors is not known as this is a matter for the individual property owners and the contractors. However, the Taskforce has been informed that GIO Suncorp has made its own arrangements for its 45 policy holders.
(2) (a) An approximate waiting time for property owners going through Bovis Lend Lease is not available as times vary according to the number of properties to be cleared by individual contractors and when the property owner applied for clearance.