Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . .

Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 4 Hansard (3 April) . . Page.. 1447 ..

Mr Wood: The answer to the member's question is as follows:

(1) (a) 82, up to and including 4 April 2003;

(b) 47;

(2) (a) 789 tenancies have received 961 Notices to Remedy (to 2 April 2003);

(b) 1510 tenancies received 1904 Notices to Remedy.

Note that these figures are debt-related; ACT Housing does not have a record of the number of Notices to Remedy (Other) that were issued;

(3) In the first instance tenants are given informal warnings/requests to cease the conduct. ACT Housing offers support from a Housing Manager Specialist, who may refer to other agencies if appropriate and if the tenant agrees. If there is a neighbourhood dispute, Conflict Resolution Service will be suggested.

If the conduct continues the Housing Manager serves a Notice to Remedy. If this does not stop the conduct a further Notice to Remedy is served, followed by a Notice to Vacate. Legal proceedings under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 may be considered if this process does not succeed. In many circumstances the behaviour may be a matter for Police, Environment ACT (noise) or other agencies to attend to;

(4) See response to (3);

(5) If a tenant is charged and convicted of (a) and/or (b), legal proceedings under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 would be considered;

(6) Anti-social behaviour may be reported to ACT Housing in several ways, namely: report the matter to the Housing Manager for the area, write to ACT Housing or call ACT Housing's Complaints Line. ACT Housing investigates all reports of anti-social behaviour to see if there are tenancy issues, which will have the appropriate action taken as per the response to (3).

Public housing assistance

(Question No 522)

Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice:

In relation to ACT Housing Assistance for tenants:

(1) The AIHW Report has revealed that during the financial year of 2000-01, 12,502 households received public housing assistance in the ACT, of these 84% of households received a rebate to assist with the cost of rent. Could the Minister provide the current percentage rates (as at 31 March 2003) of:

(a) ACT Housing tenants in receipt of the rental rebate;

(b) ACT Housing tenants who are paying full market rent.

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . .