Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 11 Hansard (10 December) . . Page.. 3526 ..
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY QUESTION NO 62
ACT Housing - Tenant Debt
Mr Wood - asked the Minister for Urban Services - In relation to the current tenant debt in ACT Housing -
(1) What was the current tenant debt as at June (a) 1996, (b) 1997 and (c) 1998
(2) In bringing about a reduction:
(a) what amount has been recovered; and
(b) how much has been written off.
Mr Smyth - the answer to the Member's questions is as follows:
(1) (a) $2,058,069, (b) $1,418,781 and (c) $1,284,067.
(2) (a) ACT Housing is unable to provide this information as it does not keep a summary record of these transactions due to the limitations of its current computer system. To obtain this information would require the devoting of considerable resources to manually investigate each account involved.
The variations of $639,288 between 1996 and 1997 and $134,714 between 1997 and 1998 are due to:
(1) reduction by amounts recovered from tenants whose current rent accounts were in arrears;
(2) reduction by transfer of rent account balances to vacated rent accounts because tenants had vacated their properties owing rent; and
(3) increase by current accounts that fell into arrears or further into arrears during the periods.
(b) Amounts are not written off from the current tenant debt.
ACT Department of Urban Services . ACT Housing
A2 Callam Offices . Easty Street . Woden ACT 2606
Locked Bag 3000 . Woden ACT 2606 . Telephone (02) 6207-5111 . Facsimile (02) 6207-1464
ACT Government Homepage: www.act.gov.au