Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 6 Hansard (3 September) . . Page.. 1962 ..
QUESTION ON NOTICE NO 41
Traffic Management Measures
Ms Tucker asked the Minister for Urban Services - in relation to the Ainslie and Dickson Traffic Management Study -
(1) What recommendations were made in the study on traffic management measures in Ainslie.
(2) What traffic management measures have been constructed in Ainslie since that Study.
(3) What is the timetable for the construction of other traffic management measures in Ainslie.
(4) What are the Government's current priorities across Canberra for construction of traffic management measures.
(5) Where are the proposed Ainslie traffic management measures in the Government's order of priorities for traffic management works.
Mr Smyth - the answer to the Member's question is as follows:
(1) The study, completed in June 1997, recommended a package of traffic-calming measures to be implemented in stages over the next 10 to 15 years. These measures include roundabouts, pedestrian refuges, raised platforms and traffic signals. A copy of the recommended scheme is attached for further detail.
(3) The first stage of the recommended scheme will be considered for inclusion in the Government's next Capital Works Program.
(4) Urban Services is examining a recently completed study of `Warrants for Traffic Management in established Residential Areas'. These warrants can be used to objectively assess, and prioritise, the nature and extent of traffic activity in residential areas that warrant attention. A submission will then be presented to Government for consideration.
(5) Ainslie/Dickson is an area of high priority for traffic management measures within the urban area.