Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 1998 Week 6 Hansard (3 September) . . Page.. 1961 ..
ACT LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
QUESTION ON NOTICE NO 40
Traffic Management Measures
Ms Tucker asked the Minister for Urban Services - in relation to the traffic management measures on Owen Dixon Drive, McKellar -
(1) What proposals for traffic management measures on Owen Dixon Drive were presented to residents along this road at the beginning of 1998 to address the issue of speeding vehicles and future increases in traffic from the new McKellar soccer stadium.
(2) What were the results of the public consultation on these traffic management meaures.
(3) What decision was made regarding the installation of traffic management measures on Owen Dixon Drive and when will such measures be implemented.
Mr Smyth - the answer to the Member's question is as follows:
(1) A traffic management proposal including the provision of a parking lane, concrete islands and a flush pavement threshold treatment (a change in colour or texture of the road surface which is level with the existing pavement) was circulated to residents of Owen Dixon Drive in 1997.
(2) While elements of this proposal were implemented, the threshold treatment was not implemented due to residents' concerns that there would be an increase in traffic noise. ACT Roads and Stormwater subsequently modified the original proposal to address the noise issue and submitted the modified proposal to residents in May 1997 to obtain their views. The majority of responses received did not support the proposal as it was felt that there would still be an increase in traffic noise.
(3) ACT Roads and Stormwater are currently finalising the design for a raised concrete platform near the intersection with Boote Street as an alternative traffic-claming measure. Street lighting in the vicinity of the raised platform will also be improved. This work will be implemented in February 1999 as part of my Department's Minor Traffic Works program for 1998/1999. Some additional speed limit signs will also be installed on Owen Dixon Drive during October 1998 to reinforce the 60 km/h speed limit that applies to this street.