Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 07 Hansard (Thursday, 2 August 2018) . . Page.. 2790 ..
(1) Can the Minister confirm that the Commonwealth Fencing Titles was denied a sports grant to assist in putting on the Veteran Fencing Championships in Canberra due to be held 23-28 November 2018.
(2) Are there any options for additional funding to be provided to ensure this international event is a success for the fencing community in Canberra.
Ms Berry: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
The ACT Fencing Association applied for funding support for the 2018 Commonwealth Fencing Championships under the ACT Event Fund 2018 – a competitive annual grant round administered by Events ACT. Unfortunately, the Association were unsuccessful with their funding request following a rigorous merit-based application and assessment process.
The Association was provided with specific feedback on their unsuccessful application and also provided with details for seeking further advice from Events ACT around event planning and promotional opportunities.
Active Canberra continues to provide assistance to local sporting organisations through the Sport and Recreation Grants Program – this includes annual operational support for the ACT Fencing Association. The guidelines of the Sport and Recreation Grants Program do not support specific funding of events.
There are no additional funding options available to support the event in November 2018.
(Question No 1451)
Mr Milligan asked the Minister for Sport and Recreation, upon notice, on 11 May 2018:
(1) In relation to the Minister’s response of 3 May 2018 to question on notice No 1059, can the Minister provide an answer to part (5) of the question which asked if the Minister can confirm “that this sporting oval is due to be replaced in two years’ time”.
(2) In relation to the Minister’s answer that stated no Safety Data Sheet (SDS) was available due to the age of the material used on the synthetic surface at Gold Creek School and given that preparing and providing an SDS is mandatory where a substance, mixture or article is a hazardous chemical and manufacturers and imports of hazardous chemicals must prepare a SDS in accordance with the model Code of Practice for the Preparation of Safety Data Sheets for Hazardous Chemicals, will the Minister commit to sourcing one for the SBR rubber material.
(3) Can the Minister advise how parents, teachers and other visitors to the Gold Creek School are made aware of hazardous materials used on the Gold Creek sporting oval.
(4) Can the Minister confirm if the current state of the oval, the use of the SBR rubber and the plans for replacement have been communicated to stakeholders such as the Gold Creek School Parents and Citizens Association.