Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2018 Week 03 Hansard (Thursday, 22 March 2018) . . Page.. 1096 ..
subjects, media contacts at tourism attractions or a quote/response from the ACT Government on a tourism-related matter. Some may be visit requests to visit Canberra to experience the city first-hand under the Visiting Journalist and Influencer Program.
(4) It has not been possible to confirm with every journalist/influencer about their willingness to publicly release information about their visit to Canberra. As a result a detailed breakdown of information for every visit has not been provided.
(5) VisitCanberra evaluates approaches based on a number of factors including:
• relevance to target markets of consumers we are trying to influence to visit (see Destination Marketing Strategy 2015-20),
• reach and audience of the publication/program/digital channel to determine Return on Investment.
Having a commissioned piece/guaranteed placement for a story is a condition of assistance under the Visiting Journalist and Influencer Program. Financial assistance can cover domestic travel, accommodation or product experience fees. VisitCanberra provides story lead ideas, information and access to our free online image library to those we cannot assist financially.
VisitCanberra works cooperatively with Tourism Australia on international media and influencer visits through its International Media Hosting Program. On these visits, VisitCanberra shares ground costs with Tourism Australia. Tourism Australia covers international and domestic travel fares to Canberra.
(6) VisitCanberra and Tourism Australia’s guidelines are available online as content on web pages. Screen shots are provided at Attachment A.
These guidelines can also be viewed at the following websites https://tourism.act.gov.au/marketing/media-centre/ or http://www.tourism.australia.com/en/media/resources-for-media/international-media-hosting-program.html
VisitCanberra’s visiting journalist media program is based on a program established by Tourism Australia and of which all state and territory tourism organisations have their own program.
When hosting media, VisitCanberra complies with the ACT Government’s Travel and Hospitality Guidelines which require approval of the delegate (Director General of Economic Development).
(7) VisitCanberra pitch stories or content to travel media and influencers on a weekly basis. VisitCanberra uses the Travmedia media release system (for travel and lifestyle media) to send out information as well as individual pitches or contact.
VisitCanberra also attends events such as the annual Travmedia International Media Marketplace (25 individual appointment with editors, freelancers, broadcasters and digital influencers) as the Canberra tourism industry representative. They pitch new destination products and experiences and attend networking sessions.
VisitCanberra also attends the Australian Tourism Exchange (ATE) Media Marketplace each year which is a similar format to the Travmedia event.