Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 11 Hansard (Thursday, 21 September 2017) . . Page.. 4182 ..
(4) Yes. The Public Unleased Land Act 2013 allows the Government to direct the person responsible to have their plants pruned or removed to maintain safe access to public land.
(Question No 591)
Ms Le Couteur asked the Minister for Transport and City Services, upon notice, on 25 August 2017:
(1) In regard to the disused sections of Joynton Smith Drive previously allocated as a bus lane to Charnwood (specifically Florey: Block 1, Section 148; Belconnen: Block 27, Section 157; Belconnen: Block 2, Section 59; and Belconnen: Block 30, Section 52), and noting the budget initiative “building a better city - active travel - Belconnen bikeway” on page 150 of 2017-18 Budget Paper 3, will any of the capital works as part of the above budget initiative be used to convert and reactivate the disused sections of Joynton Smith Drive.
(2) What is the timeline for the reactivation or repurposing of those section.
(3) What plans are in place to allow cyclist access to Lathlain Street in the event that this section is converted into the Belconnen Bikeway.
(4) If no plans are currently in place, what short-term remediation efforts can be made to open up these disused sections to community use, for example, removing of fencing and barricades for use as a temporary dog park.
Ms Fitzharris: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The Belconnen Bikeway proposal will investigate the potential utilisation of the disused “bus only” section of Joynton Smith Drive.
(2) The feasibility and design phases have been funded in the 2017-18 ACT Budget.
(3) The feasibility and design work will identify where connections from the Belconnen Bikeway may be required to provide access to other areas within the Town Centre, including to Lathlain Street.
(4) The ability to have temporary uses in this area will require further investigation by TCCS.
(Question No 593)
Mrs Jones asked the Minister for Police and Emergency Services, upon notice, on 25 August 2017:
(1) What steps have you taken to plan for the upcoming bushfire season during this drier than usual winter.