Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 06 Hansard (Thursday, 8 June 2017) . . Page.. 2171 ..
Mr Ramsay: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The Justice and Community Safety Standing Committee’s Report No.12 of 2012 recommended that the Crimes Legislation Amendment Bill 2011 and the Crimes (Offences Against Police) Amendment Bill 2012 not be supported by the Legislative Assembly.
(2) The Crimes Legislation Amendment Bill 2011 lapsed at the end of the seventh Assembly and the Crimes (Offences Against Police) Amendment Bill 2012 was negatived on 6 June 2012. In those circumstances, the Government does not consider that it is necessary or relevant to table a response to the report on these bills.
Legislative Assembly—tabling of government responses
(Question No 242)
Mr Coe asked the Minister for Health, upon notice, on 12 May 2017:
(1) Why has the Government not tabled a response to the Health, Ageing, Community and Social Services Standing Committee’s Report No. 4 of 2015: Inquiry into the Sourcing and Supply of Dental Prostheses and Appliances to Australian Dental Practitioners from Overseas presented to the Assembly on 17 March 2015 by during the Eighth Assembly.
(2) Will a response to the report in part (1) be tabled in the Ninth Assembly; if so, what deadline will be set for the response to be tabled before the Assembly; if not, explain why no response will be forthcoming from the Government.
Ms Fitzharris: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The sole recommendation from the Report, Recommendation 1, states that the “Committee recommends that the ACT Government should request that the TGA and the Dental Board of Australia consider amending the relevant regulations, codes and guidelines to require the details about the manufacturer of a custom-made dental device to be provided to the prescribing practitioner and the patient.”
The Cabinet Office considered the Report and advised ACT Health that as the Report only contained one recommendation, a letter of response from the Minister for Health, addressing the recommendation would be a suitable reply and would not need Cabinet consideration.
(2) No, a response to the report in Part (1) will not be tabled in the Ninth Assembly. ACT Health supports the sole recommendation from the Report and correspondence was directed to the Chair of the Dental Board of Australia and the Director of the TGA requesting they consider amending relevant regulations, codes and guidelines to require the details about the manufacture of a custom-made dental device to be provided to the prescribing practitioner and patient. This was signed by the then Minister for Health, Simon Corbell on 26 May 2015.
Correspondence was also directed to Dr Bourke as Chair of the SCHACSS and Dr Lockwood of the Dental Board at the same time, indicating the response to the report.