Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 03 Hansard (Tuesday, 21 March 2017) . . Page.. 745 ..
that the proposal to construct a new convention centre for Canberra has attracted tripartisan support in the Assembly, resolved to inquire into and report on the proposal to construct a new convention centre for Canberra, including:
• The level of demand from business and clients for a new centre and the likely economic impact of a new centre on Canberra;
• Whether the “Australia Forum” proposal has the support of stakeholders;
• The amount of work required to take the proposal to an investment ready stage;
• The appropriate source of funding (federal, territory or private sector) for each stage of the project;
• The level of priority that should be given to a new convention centre in relation to other infrastructure projects in the ACT; and
• Other matters arising during the inquiry.
The committee will today call for public submissions.
Health, Ageing and Community Services—Standing Committee
Statement by chair
MR STEEL (Murrumbidgee) (10.08): Pursuant to standing order 246A, I wish to make a statement on behalf of the Standing Committee on Health, Ageing and Community Services. At a private meeting on 1 March 2017 the committee resolved to conduct an inquiry into the employment of people with a disability. The committee notes that:
(a) the employment rate of people with disability in the ACT public service is 2.2 per cent as at June 2016;
(b) the Australian Human Rights Commission report, Willing to Work: National Inquiry into Employment Discrimination Against Older Australians and Australians with Disability found the ACT to be the only jurisdiction with an increase in the employment of people with disability over the 2013-15 period; and
(c) the ACT government’s new Office for Disability and Disability Reference Group has been established to provide strategic policy advice on disability issues.
As such, the committee has adopted the following terms of reference:
• the implementation of the ACT Public Service Disability Employment Strategy;
• the effectiveness of current attraction and retention programs in the ACT public service;
• the effectiveness of current attraction and retention programs for ACT based private enterprise and community organisations;
• data collection, monitoring and reporting mechanisms;
• relevant experiences and learnings from Australian state, commonwealth and international jurisdictions;
• the applicability to the ACT public service of recommendations and findings from the report Employing people with disability in the APS published by the University of Canberra;