Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2017 Week 03 Hansard (Thursday, 23 March 2017) . . Page.. 1078 ..
(1) Have the lessors of the Giralang shops breached their lease conditions given that the shops have not been operational for over a decade.
(2) What compliance activity has been undertaken at this site.
(3) What is the status of the current development at Giralang shops.
(4) Are there any plans to develop an overarching precinct plan for the Giralang local centre and surrounding school and community-zoned land.
(5) Are there any active development applications for the Giralang shops.
(6) What is the Government doing to ensure that Giralang shops are operational.
Mr Gentleman: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) A new Crown lease was registered in March 2014. Neither the previous nor the current lessors have breached their lease conditions due to non operation of the shops.
(2) No compliance activity has been undertaken at the site since the blocks were consolidated as there is no legislative basis for such activity. The developer commenced works to re-develop the site but delays have been experienced due to legal proceedings. A new Development Application is now required to be lodged and approved for the site.
(3) The DA for Giralang shops was approved in August 2011. Under this DA, buildings were demolished and the new development commenced with formwork for the basement and ground floor levels. However, construction works ceased due to the instigation of legal proceedings in the Supreme Court. As part of the settlement of these legal proceedings, the DA was eventually surrendered in September 2016. No further construction can commence until a new development application is lodged and approved.
(4) There are no plans to develop an over-arching precinct plan for the Giralang local centre, surrounding school and community-zoned land.
(5) There are no active development applications for the Giralang shops.
(6) The ACT Government is working with the Crown Lessee of the Giralang shops to encourage the lodgement of a new development application.
(Question No 122)
Ms Le Couteur asked the Minister for Planning and Land Management, upon notice, on 17 February 2017:
(1) Did the previous Minister for Planning and Development’s Statement of Planning Intent 2015 include an “immediate” action to identify a number of “demonstration precincts”; if so, how many demonstration precincts were identified and where are they located.