Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2015 Week 02 Hansard (Thursday, 19 February 2015) . . Page.. 568 ..
Estimates 2015-2016—Select Committee
MR SMYTH (Brindabella) (10.48): I move:
(1) a Select Committee on Estimates 2015-2016 be appointed to examine the expenditure proposals contained in the Appropriation Bill 2015-2016, the Appropriation (Office of the Legislative Assembly) Bill 2015-2016 and any revenue estimates proposed by the Government in the 2015-2016 Budget and prepare a report to the Assembly;
(2) in keeping with Continuing Resolution 8A, the committee be composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government; and
(b) three Members to be nominated by the Opposition;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 4 pm today;
(3) an Opposition Member shall be elected chair of the committee by the committee;
(4) funds be provided by the Assembly to permit the engagement of external expertise to work with the committee to facilitate the analysis of the Budget and the preparation of the report of the committee;
(5) the committee is to report by Tuesday, 4 August 2015;
(6) if the Assembly is not sitting when the committee has completed its inquiry, the committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation; and
(7) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
Madam Speaker, this is the standard motion we move at this time in most years to set up the committee to enable the secretariat to start booking the ministers’ diaries for their appearances before the committee. I commend the motion to the house.
MR BARR (Molonglo—Chief Minister, Treasurer, Minister for Economic Development, Minister for Urban Renewal and Minister for Tourism and Events) (10.48): I move an amendment to Mr Smyth’s motion:
Omit subparagraph (2)(b), substitute:
“(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition;
to be notified in writing to the Speaker by 4pm today;”.