Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video

Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 14 Hansard (Tuesday, 7 December 2010) . . Page.. 5853 ..

contributions to women’s sport were $435,763, or just over 3.2 per cent of total contributions. Even though this is a small percentage in relation to other categories, it is pleasing to note that the level of contributions to women’s sport has once again increased, this time by over 99 per cent when compared to the previous financial year.

The figures in the commission’s report indicate that contributions to community infrastructure increased by 280 per cent on the previous year to $851,755, due to significant upgrades to the football and golf course facilities by a particular club group.

Furthermore, the commission’s report shows that charitable and social welfare contributions declined by 25 per cent to $841,864 in 2009-10 after the increase experienced in the previous year when significant contributions were made to the appeals for the Victorian bushfires and the Queensland flooding disasters.

In relation to the other categories for the 2009-10 financial year, the following contributions were made: non-profit activities, $2.1 million, or 15 per cent of total contributions—this was a slight decrease of 0.8 of one per cent on the previous financial year—and problem gambling, $343,871, or 2.5 per cent of total contributions, which represented a decrease of 15.3 per cent on the previous year.

Whilst it appears that the level of contributions to problem gambling has decreased in comparison to 2008-09, the commission’s report indicates that some payments scheduled to be made by some club licensees to an ongoing problem gambling assistance program during the 2009-10 financial year were not called upon until the following financial year.

Whilst there is no minimum level requirement for community contributions from hotel and tavern gaming machine licensees, six of the 11 gaming machine licensees made community contributions in the 2009-10 financial year. These licensees contributed a total of $41,164, which is a 33 per cent decrease compared to the last financial year.

Historically, hotels and taverns tend to contribute to only a few of the permissible categories. For the 2009-10 financial year, the sport and recreation category received 75 per cent of all the contributions made by hotels and taverns, with the remaining 25 per cent going to charitable and social welfare organisations.

The commission’s report contains comprehensive data on gaming machine activity in the ACT. I table, for the information of members, the 2009-10 report on community contributions by gaming machine licensees as prepared by the ACT Gambling and Racing Commission. I move:

That the report be noted.

Debate (on motion by Mr Smyth) adjourned to the next sitting.


Mr Corbell presented the following papers:

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . . Video