Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2010 Week 11 Hansard (Thursday, 21 October 2010) . . Page.. 4937 ..
Answers to questions
National Arboretum Canberra—tree thefts
(Question No 1049)
Mr Coe asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 25 August 2010 (redirected to the Minister for Land and Property Services):
(1) What was the cost for each of the 12 dragon trees stolen from the Arboretum on 27 July 2010.
(2) How many of the 12 dragon trees were recovered and how many of these trees have survived since their recovery.
(3) Will replacement dragon trees be purchased to replace the trees that did not survive; if so, (a) at what cost and (b) when will they be purchased.
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The five smaller Dragon Trees cost $120 each and the seven larger trees cost $369 each.
(2) Five of the twelve Dragon trees were recovered and all have been repotted and are doing well.
(3) The replacement cost of the larger Dragon Trees is likely to be in the order of $335 to $370 each and they are expected to be purchased by the end of the calendar year.
National Arboretum Canberra—tree plantings
(Question No 1050)
Mr Coe asked the Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, upon notice, on 25 August 2010 (redirected to the Acting Minister for Land and Property Services):
(1) How many trees have been planted at the National Arboretum to date, and what is the total cost of these purchases.
(2) How many trees are due to be planted over the next ten years and what is the projected cost of the purchase of these trees.
(3) How many visitors have been recorded at the National Arboretum to date.
(4) What is the projected number of visitors to the Arboretum for the next ten years.
(5) What is the total cost of security and maintenance of the National Arboretum by year to date.
Ms Gallagher: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) To date approximately 25,000 have been planted at the National Arboretum Canberra (NAC). The total cost of plant purchases to date is approximately $259,000 (exclusive of GST).