Page 352 - Week 01 - Thursday, 14 February 2008

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . .

(3) What is the process followed if someone lodges a complaint to Domestic Animal Services about their neighbours’ cats;

(4) Are there any measures residents can take to keep cats off their property;

(5) Is there a regulation against domestic cats killing wildlife.

Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:

(1) Yes. The suburbs of Bonner and Forde, as well as the nature reserves of Mulligans Flat and Goorooyarroo, were declared as Cat Curfew areas under the Domestic Animals Act 2000 (the Act). As such, any residents in those suburbs with cats are required to contain their cats to their premises 24 hours a day for the purpose of the Act.

(2) No.

(3) Domestic Animal Services (DAS) provides advice to people who complain about roaming cats. This consists of suggestions to discuss the matter with neighbours in the first instance, if appropriate. If the nuisance persists, DAS will provide assistance with the provision of a cat trap. Trapping of cats in private yards is permissible provided the conditions of the Animal Welfare Act 1992 are strictly adhered to. Once a cat is captured, DAS will return and collect the animal for conveyance to the RSPCA Shelter.

(4) There are a number of commercially available cat deterrent products currently available in Australia that can be spread around property boundaries and yards to keep roaming cats away. One such product is ‘Ssscat’ an automated cat deterrent spray system. Some companies specialise in providing ‘cat-proof’ fencing that may discourage cats from entering a backyard. Some fencing designs require approval from the owner of neighbouring properties as the structure may encroach neighbouring property boundaries. However, if deterrent sprays or fencing additions are unsuccessful, or deemed inappropriate, cat trapping methods may be used.

(5) No.

Schools—toilet facilities
(Question No 1799)

Dr Foskey asked the Minister for Education and Training, upon notice, on 4 December 2007:

Can the Minister provide the forward planning list for the upgrading of toilet facilities in ACT schools.

Mr Barr: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:

The planning list for upgrading toilet facilities in ACT public schools is as follows:

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . .