Page 2975 - Week 09 - Thursday, 18 August 2005

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . .

(2) Do children have the power to defend their own essential interests in regard to being removed from Domestic Violence Protection Orders; if so, (a) what is the process and (b) who acts for the child (excluding third party representation in the Family Court); if not, why is this not possible.

Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:

(1) The process for lodging domestic violence claims is the same for men and women. When a person enquires at the Magistrates Court as to the procedure for lodging an application for a domestic violence order, they are provided with both an application and a document titled ‘Guide to Completing a Domestic Violence Order Application’. This document sets out the process for making an application for a Domestic Violence Order.

(2) A child has the right to seek to be removed from a Domestic Violence Protection Order. Pursuant to Section 13 of the Domestic Violence and Protection Orders Act 2001 a child who is named on an Order, can as a ‘person with sufficient interest in the protection order’ seek the leave of the Court to apply to amend or revoke the Order.

A child can be represented through a Guardian ad litem, a legal practitioner or by the Community Advocate.

Crime—domestic violence
(Question No 438)

Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Children, Youth and Family Support, upon notice, on 29 June 2005:

(1) What services are currently available to (a) men and (b) women who are the victims of domestic violence;

(2) What amount of funding is directed towards supporting (a) women’s and (b) men’s services;

(3) What funding is given for (a) men and (b) women for such services as (i) legal support, (ii) counseling services, (iii) accommodation and (iv) any other related services;

(4) How many (a) males and (b) females are involved in the Family Intervention Program from a (i) participation and (ii) staffing perspective.

Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:

(1&2) The ACT Government specifically funds the Domestic Violence Crisis Service (DVCS) to support men and women affected by domestic violence. Funding for 2004/05 is $1,225,872.

(3) The following services are funded to provide (i) legal support, (ii) counselling services, (iii) accommodation and (iv) any other related services. These services include within their client groups people who may experience domestic violence.

(The funding amounts outlined are recurrent and relate to the 2004/05 financial year).

Next page . . . . Previous page . . . . Speeches . . . . Contents . . . . Debates(HTML) . . . . PDF . . . .