Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2005 Week 06 Hansard (Friday, 6 May 2005) . . Page.. 2031 ..
Canberra-Queanbeyan district and surrounds 1820-1927, and historical overview 1928-2001, Aboriginal History Monograph 8, ANU Press, 2001.
(2) The Cotter/'Onyong' memorial was erected by William Cotter (deceased) great-grandson of Garrett Cotter, a pioneer of the region, who befriended ‘Hong Yong’ (Onyong) in the early eighteen hundreds.
(3) The cost of erecting the memorial is unknown.
(4) The source of the memorial rock is unknown.
(5) The memorial was erected on the site of a hut built by Garrett Cotter in 1828. It is located geographically on the property known as ‘Naas Forest’ in NSW west of Michelago near the ACT border.
(6) The memorial was erected privately.
(7) There is no record of Government funds being awarded for the construction of the memorial.
(8) The memorial was erected privately.
Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders—Ngunnawal spelling
(Question No 363)
Mrs Burke asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice, on 6 April 2005:
(1) When did the Government seek independent linguistic validation for the name change of ‘Ngunawal’ to ‘Ngunnawal’;
(2) Who gave this advice and validation;
(3) How much did this advice cost the Territory;
(4) Who approved the funding and when;
(5) What was the construction and erection costs of the new ‘Ngunnawal’ signs across the ACT.
Mr Hargreaves: The answer to the member’s question is as follows:
(1) The ACT Government did not seek any independent linguistic validation advice in relation to this matter.
(5) The cost of construction and installation of the three signs erected in May 2002 was $4,500.