Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 13 Hansard (27 November) . . Page.. 4938 ..
Watering government ovals
(Question No 1067)
Mr Cornwell: asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice:
In relation to watering of ACT Government ovals:
(1) On average, how many times per week are Canberra's ovals watered during the warmer summer months;
(2) Has the watering of Canberra's ovals been reduced at all this year in comparison to watering rates last year;
(3) How many days per week are Playing Fields at Amaroo watered.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's questions is as follows:
(1) The frequency with which ACT Government ovals are watered varies according to rainfall and evaporation rates, as well as the size of the oval and the number of irrigation stations in any given system. In addition to normal watering there is also daytime watering for newly sown areas and newly turfed areas-this watering takes place in Spring and continues until the areas have established.
(2) The watering of ACT Government ovals has been reduced in comparison to last year's watering to reflect the implementation on Actew/AGL's Level Three water restrictions, which require a 40% reduction in consumption. Reduced oval watering has been partly offset by a proportionally larger reduction in the watering of irrigated parkland.
(3) The watering of Amaroo District Playing Fields is determined by rainfall, evaporation, the size of the complex and the number of stations on the irrigation system and varies accordingly.
(Question No 1068)
Mr Cornwell asked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice:
(1) What was the cost to government of removing graffiti in the ACT in 2002-03;
(2) What is the total cost to government of removing graffiti in the ACT to the current day in 2003-04;
(3) What was the cost to government for removing graffiti on the Amaroo sports sheds;
(4) What was/will be the cost to government for removing graffiti from the Ainslie shops that was recently attacked by graffiti vandalism.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Funding for the removal of graffiti from public and privately owned assets in urban open space for 2002/03.