Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 9 Hansard (28 August) . . Page.. 3412 ..
(10) The Prime Minister's letter dated 30 April 2003 refers to the following matters:
Provision of $1 million to assist softwood sawmills in the ACT;
Provision of $0.5 million towards the tourism package aimed at revitalising the Territory's tourism industry that was heavily affected by the January 2003 bushfires;
Intention to consider the 'Re-greening the ACT' proposal within the terms of the NDRA;
Preparedness to cooperate with the ACT with regard to the improvement of emergency communication system;
Assurance that the Commonwealth was committed to contributing its fair share of the fire services costs in Canberra; and
Advice that the Territory will not be exempt from applying the NDRA threshold on an annual basis. The Territory requested to be exempt from this arrangement, on the ground that the eligible expenditure after insurance would be limited when the threshold is applied annually.
(11) No separate request for financial assistance has been made under paragraph (g) of Clause 2.2 of the NDRA.
(12) Financial assistance was sought under 2.2 (g) as part of our interim claim on 19 May 2003. Eligible items under Clause 2.2 (g) will be included in the 2002-03 final claim and in claims relating to 2003-04.
(13) The Commonwealth accepted the items included in the interim claim pursuant to Clause 2.2 (g).
(14) Yes, the interim claim only related to 2002-03.
(15) Yes, it is very likely.
(16) The ACT Government has long been participating in the Natural Disaster Risk Management Studies Programme. Under the Programme, DOTARS seeks applications for funding from State, Territory and Local Governments annually. Therefore, no separate request for assistance was made under Clause 3.4.
(17) Please refer to (16).
(18) Please refer to (16).
(Question No 833)
Mr Smyth asked the Treasurer, upon notice:
In relation to the destruction of, or damage to, property and other assets during the January 2003 bushfires and of the recovery efforts undertaken since that event:
(1) What is the aggregate estimate, as at 30 June 2003, of the cost of destruction of property and other assets;
(2) What is the breakdown of this cost of destruction across different types of property and other assets;