Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 6 Hansard (19 June) . . Page.. 2240 ..
Christmas Function for Media
Reception for Reserve Forces Overseas Contingent
2 July '02
Tony Magee Entertainment
Meet DECS Executives
Luncheon for New Zealand Commissioner for Children
Speakers Hospitality Room
Australian Capital Tourism
(Question No 772)
Mr Smythasked the Minister for Economic Development, Business and Tourism, upon notice, on 19 June 2003.
In relation to the name change of Canberra Tourism and Events Corporation:
(1) The notable omission from the new title Australian Capital Tourism is 'events' does this mean that events based tourism won't be a focus of the newly named body, if so, why, if not, what focus will be given to events based tourism;
(2) What will be the process of deciding who the two new members of the board will be;
(3) Will the Minister ensure that these two members don't simply double up on areas covered by other members so that we have a Board that covers a broad spectrum of ideas in tourism;
(4) Does the Minister have any knowledge at this stage from where in the tourism industry the two new members might be drawn from;
(5) Are there any costs associated with an additional two members on the board, if so, please detail those costs.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) The omission of 'events' from the Corporation's new title 'Australian Capital Tourism' does not mean that that the Corporation will not focus on event based tourism. The title 'Australian Capital Tourism' better reflects the Corporation's main purpose which is marketing and promoting Canberra, and signifies its commitment to