Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 6 Hansard (19 June) . . Page.. 2237 ..
(Question No 750)
Mrs Dunneasked the Chief Minister, upon notice:
In relation to rural properties destroyed in the January bushfires:
(1) How many properties in rural areas are still to be cleared as at 31 May 2003?
(2) When do you anticipate that you will complete clearing rural properties?
(3) Has a lower priority been given to clearing rural properties than to urban properties?
Mr Stanhope: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) All ACT Government properties and private properties contracted for clearance through Bovis Lend Lease in rural area have been cleared. It would be difficult to determine how many of those now cleared, were still to be cleared as at 31 May 2003.
The Cotter tavern is yet to be cleared and is considered a commercial property.
The ANU's Mt Stromlo Observatory site has yet to be cleared. The Bushfire Recovery Taskforce has been urging the ANU to clear the site as soon as possible.
(2) As mentioned above, all ACT Government properties and private properties contracted for clearance through Bovis Lend Lease in rural areas have been cleared. The Government Solicitor's Office is currently negotiating with the solicitor of the lessee of the Cotter tavern about the future of the Crown Lease. I understand that the ANU is negotiating with its insurer about clearance of the Mt Stromlo Observatory site and has advised the Taskforce that the site should be cleared by the end of 2003.
(3) No. The clearance of all properties was conducted as soon as the work required could be defined, then quoted upon and contracted. As rural demolition tended to be either more extensive or harder to get to than urban sites, the demolition scoping process took longer. However, notwithstanding this, rural demolitions of private properties commenced in March and were given equal priority with all other demolitions.
(Question No 756 to 771)
Mr Smythasked the following ministers, upon notice, on 19 June 2003
*756 Chief Minister
*758 Minister for Environment
*759 Minister for Community Affairs