Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 6 Hansard (19 June) . . Page.. 2213 ..
(1) In part (6) of your reply you provided figures 'cost per in-service kilometre to operate a bus'. What is meant by the term 'in-service';
(2) Why can't a total cost and cost per kilometre overall be provided.
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's questions is as follows:
(1) "In-service kilometres"(also known as route kilometres) refers to the kilometres travelled while collecting fare-paying passengers. It does not include kilometres travelled in positioning the bus (depot to start of service), returning the bus (end of service to depot or layover), charter services, workshop tests and any dead running that may occur between sites.
(2) The original question was framed as follows:
"What was the total cost and cost per kilometre to operate a bus?"
It was thought that this was appropriately answered with the response providing both "total cost to operate a bus"and "cost per in-service kilometre to operate a bus".
Question on Notice 691 now asks for "total cost"and "cost per kilometre"overall, which is provided below.
Total Cost ($'000)
Cost per Kilometre
Cost per Kilometre- the reduction in 2001-02 compared to 2000-01 reflects a one-off savings in employee costs (write-back of leave provisions of $0.73m) as well as a general reduction in running costs (mainly consisting of fuel) of $0.51m. There was also an increase in total kilometres of 571 thousand over the previous year.
The increase year to date 2002-03 compared to 2001-02 reflects the one-off adjustment to employee costs in the previous year (as indicated above) while running costs have increased by about $0.5m (comparison of data for both financial years up to March). The increase in running costs is mainly due to an increase in the base price per litre for fuel of about six cents. There has also been other costs increases in 2002-03 such as insurance ($0.2m) and the first time cost for bus registration ($0.25m).
(Question No 695)
Mrs Burkeasked the Minister for Disability, Housing and Community Services, upon notice:
In relation to indigenous housing:
(1) $350,000 was allocated in the 2002-03 Budget for Indigenous Housing, how much of that money had been expended as at 30 April 2003 and what was delivered for that expenditure;