Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2003 Week 6 Hansard (19 June) . . Page.. 2163 ..
Answers to questions
Cultural Facilities Corporation
(Question No 555)
Mr Stefaniakasked the Minister for Urban Services, upon notice:
In relation to the Cultural Facilities Corporation:
(1) Funds were allocated in 2002-03 Budget for works at (a) Stage 88 and (b) the Playhouse. As at 31 December 2002 no monies had been spent on both of these projects and they were both scheduled for completion in December 2002. Why had work not started or been completed on these projects at 31 December 2002;
(2) Have any works progressed between 31 December 2002 and 31 March 2003, if so, please provide expenditure and works details, if not, why not;
(3) What are the new completion dates for projects (1) (a) and (b) above.
Mr Wood: The answer to the member's questions is as follows:
(1) (a) While it was originally intended to complete this project by December 2002, it was then decided to postpone the work until winter 2003, to avoid impacting on planned activity on the stage during the spring, summer and autumn periods. More recently, negotiations have commenced between the National Capital Authority (NCA) and the Cultural Facilities Corporation (CFC) for the NCA to take over management responsibility for Stage 88, including the capital works project and its funding. These negotiations are expected to be completed in the near future and it is anticipated that the NCA would then undertake the project within the winter 2003 timeframe.
(1) (b) This project encompasses providing a tether and lanyard system to the roof of the Canberra Theatre Centre, not just to the Playhouse. The delay relates to the limited available expertise for this specialised work, and to difficulties in engaging a contractor locally with the expertise to undertake the work.
(2) (a) No, for the reasons given under 1 (a). It is not now intended that the work would be completed by the CFC. Once this is confirmed, the Department of Urban Services will seek Treasury approval to utilise these funds for other priority projects.
(2) (b) No, for the reasons given under 1(b). The CFC has engaged Procurement Solutions to find a contractor with the required expertise.
(3) (a) Refer to 1 (a).
(3) (b) 30 June 2003.
Canberra Hospital-renal dialysis unit
(Question No 587)
Mr Smythasked the Minister for Health, upon notice: