Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 9 Hansard (21 August) . . Page.. 2785 ..
(4) Different arrangements apply at Totalcare and ActewAGL:
ActewAGL These services have been outsourced. In February 2002 ActewAGL advertised for expressions of interest for ActewAGL Home Services from licenced gas appliance technicians and electricians, with a view to setting up franchises. Interviews were conducted in April and May with interested technicians. In June 2002, ActewAGL Home Services commenced business with five local gas technicians. These technicians operate under a Licensee Agreement, with the arrangement allowing the technicians to also conduct their own businesses.
Totalcare: The people performing the building maintenance services are a mixture of:
a) trades staff transferred to Totalcare in 1997 when the Works and Commercial Services function was transferred from Department of Urban Services. These people are public servants employed under the Public Sector Management Act;
b) trades staff employed directly by Totalcare; and
(5) The Government is committed to maintaining a healthy private sector and recognises that the ACT's long term growth is dependent on developing the private sector in the ACT.
(6) While the Government is committed to maintaining and growing a healthy private sector, it needs to be recognised that both Totalcare and ActewAGL are significant entities operating within the ACT markets and have been for a considerable number of years. The employment and economic impact of these entities on the ACT economy is very substantial.
H Division shires
(Question No 248)
Mr Cornwell asked the Chief Minister, upon notice, on 21 August 2002:
In relation to your reply to Question on Notice 228:
(1) Does the Assembly send an observer to the quarterly meetings of H Division of the Local Government Shires Association held in Queanbeyan NSW.
(2) If so who is the observer.
(3) If not, why not
(4) Does the Government believe the attendance of an ACT observer strengthens the regional relationship between the ACT and surrounding NSW
(5) Will you be hosting meetings of the Regional Leaders' Forum as did your predecessors.