Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 4 Hansard (10 April) . . Page.. 875 ..
Wednesday, 10 April 2002
MR SPEAKER (Mr Berry) took the chair at 10.30 am and asked members to stand in silence and pray or reflect on their responsibilities to the people of the Australian Capital Territory.
The following petitions were lodged for presentation.
The petition of the undersigned residents of the Australian Capital Territory, and others, draws the attention of the Assembly to the degree of support for a new international standard championship dragway for Canberra. Many of the signatories are non ACT residents and as such this petition illustrates the level to which the ACT economy and in-bound domestic tourism industry will benefit from the operations of an international standard Dragway facility in Canberra.
The undersigned petitioners therefore ask the Assembly to:
- Urgently consider the economic and social benefits for the ACT community to be derived from a Dragway, as identified in the draft "preliminary assessment for the proposed international Dragway facility."
- Complete without delay any further due process for the approval of the development.
- Direct the necessary resources to the construction of the facility so that operations can commence for the 2002/2003 summer season.
by Mr Stanhope, from 8,645 residents.
The petition of certain residents of the Australian Capital Territory draws to the attention of the Assembly that:
- the Health Regulation (Maternal Health Information) Repeal Bill 2001 removes valuable statutory protection from women who are considering termination of pregnancy and those who have conscientious objection to participating in abortion procedures; and
- the Crimes (Abolition of Offence of Abortion) Bill 2001 removes all legal protection from the unborn child before birth.