Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 4 Hansard (11 April) . . Page.. 1180 ..
Police driver training centre
(Question No 119)
Mr Cornwell asked the Minister for Planning, upon notice:
In relation to the former Police Driver Training Centre on the Sutton Road:
(1) When was this established and what was the cost?
(2) When did it cease functioning as the Police Driver Training Centre and why did it cease this function?
(3) When was the facility sold or leased to another party and who was that party or organisation?
(4) If sold, for what price; if leased, on what terms, for what period of time and for what annual costs?
Mr Corbell: The answer to the member's questions is as follows:
(1) The former Police Driver Training Centre (now Block 474 Majura) was constructed in 1977 and 1978 by the former National Capital Development Commission. The capital works budget was $845,000.
(2) It is understood that the Centre ceased to function in 1991. On 1 May 1991, the site was de-gazetted as National Land, therefore becoming land to be managed by the Territory (ie Territory Land). Police driver training was relocated to the Block 622 Majura, which is National Land. It is understood that the Block 622 the track was purpose built to meet newer police driver training requirements, and includes a four wheel drive vehicle track and a skid pan.
(3) A lease for Block 474 was granted by the Territory to the ACT Regional Transport and Distribution Industry Training Council Incorporated on 19 January 1993.
(4) The lease was granted for a term of 10 years at a rent of 5 cents per annum, if and when demanded.