Legislative Assembly for the ACT: 2002 Week 4 Hansard (11 April) . . Page.. 1137 ..
(Question No 99)
Mr Stefaniak asked the Minister for Sport, Racing and Gaming, upon notice, on 5 March 2002:
In relation to the Canberra Racecourse:
(1) List (a) the names of the persons/organisations and (b) the type of business that the persons/organisations are operating from the above premises.
(2) What is (a) the current lease term and (b) rent for each of the persons/organisations currently operating from the above premises.
(3) What facilities are provided to each of the premises.
(4) Who has responsibility for the management of those facilities.
Mr Quinlan: The answer to the member's question is as follows:
(1) Refer to table at Attachment A.
(2) Refer to table at Attachment A.
(3) Refer to table at Attachment A. In addition, a telephone recording system was put in place by the ACT Government to record telephone conversations of the sports bookmaking licensees. The calls are recorded to aid in the resolution of telephone bets should a dispute arise between a sports bookmaking licensee and a client. The recording system was purchased by the Government and installed by InTACT. The system provides a number of lines to each sports bookmaking licensee in the sports betting auditorium and utilises the Telstra Spectrum system. Telstra send a monthly bill to InTACT of $42 per line rental charge plus STD calls. InTACT seeks direct reimbursement from the sports bookmaking licensees according to the number of lines allocated and usage. ACTTAB Ltd and Sportodds Systems Pty Ltd own telephone recording systems which are secured and to which the Commission has access if required. Both ACTTAB and Sportodds pay for the charges in respect of usage of these systems.
Furthermore, access to the Australian Prices Network (APN), (formerly known as the Bookmakers Pricing Service), is utilised by businesses at the ACT Race Club. The APN service provides bookmakers odds from race meetings throughout Australia and is owned jointly by the Australian Jockey Club and Victorian Racing Club. The APN is provided to the ACT Racing Club at $280/day. This cost is split amongst the following users: